This is my favorite time of year. We’re smack dab in the middle of summer. It’s hot outside. The sun is shining (well most days; today is particularly rainy.) My birthday is right around the corner and the beaches are calling my name.
A few months ago I shared some memories from our yearly outing to Seaside Heights New Jersey — click here to check it out. Every year our family spends a week at the beach and we all look forward to it. So much so the beach becomes dinner conversation right after Christmas. We love reminiscing and dreaming of what fun this year will have in store for us.
When I travel alone I’m famous for packing light, but vacationing with the family is a completely different challenge. My pack-light gene stresses me out as I realize all that we need to re-create a home environment at our beach house rental.
Without fail every year we forget one or two major things. Last year it was toys for our then 1-year old. The poor kids had absolutely nothing to play with at the house. The year before? Garbage bags and paper towels, both of which are easily bought there, but when you’re on a budget bringing them from home is a much better option.
So this year I decided to create a master list and share it here in hopes I avoid bored kids and frantic trips to the store.
Clothing (for Each Person)
- At least one pair jeans and a sweatshirt for chilly nights
- At least 3-4 extra pair of underwear, bras, socks
- Warm-weather pajamas
- Sneaks and sandals
- As many bathing suits as possible
- Bathing suit cover-ups, rash guards or extra T’s for the beach
- Toothbrush/toothpaste/floss (don’t forget kid-friendly products as well)
- Bar of soap/body wash
- Bathroom towels
- Brush/comb/hair gel
- First-aid kit including pain relievers, bandages and disinfectant
- Hand sanitizer
- Beach chairs
- Cooler and ice packs
- Sunscreen and bug spray
- Beach toys (bucket, shovels, paddle ball, football, boogie boards)
- Spray bottle of water
- Sheets and any special pillows or blankets
- Condiments: Ketchup, mustard, salt & pepper (If you don’t want to buy them there)
- Garbage bags
- Paper towels and cleaner
- Phone chargers
- iPod/iPad and chargers
- Camera and charger
- Toys/books for the kids
- Sippy Cups
- Swim diapers
- Extra diapers and wipes
OK, guys, what am I forgetting?